Sunday, August 22, 2010

Genesis 16-21...Days 5...and 6

Okay.  So I didn't write yesterday.  I didn't even read for that matter...I fell asleep on the couch while trying to watch a movie with Mr. Drama.  I thought I could make it, but I guess after a long exhausting week, it just wasn't possible; however, I caught up tonight, and I'm ready to go.

Lots of stuff happens...

Abram's wife Sarai tells him she's not going to be able to give him a son so he needs to be with her servent Hagar.  Even though Ishmael was born from this union, it just goes to prove once again that we are on God's time table not ours. Had Abram and Sarai just listened and waited, they would have had a child too...much later than they anticipated, but again...God's time table.  Isaac was born when Sarah was 99 years old...like I said the other day, I was 24 when my first was born...I couldn't imagine having a child at 99 years old!

Speaking of Ishmael...all I could think about as I read about him was Moby Dick.  It's been a while since I've read it, but if I'm not mistaken, the first sentence of the book is, "Call me Ishmael."  I wonder why Ishmael though.  I don't remember if we ever get much background on the Ishmael of the book in order to make a connection. 

Abram and Sarai both get new names...Abraham and Sarah.  I'm going to have to do a little research over this one...why Abraham and Sarah?  There has to be a significance to this...God wouldn't just give them random names would He?

This is also the section of Sodom and Gomorrah...besides the destruction of these places for evil doing, the part which makes me cringe is how freely Lot was willing to give up his virgin daughters.  It'sstill hard to think about the fact that women were treated as pieces of property...

However, the daughters turn around and do something just as disturbing by having children with their own father...it was their ideas even! 

Dear Lord:  Please help me to get some rest so I can be ready for a new week.  Please help me to be able to feel stress free so I may spend some enjoyable time with my family.  Please help my girls sleep well and feel prepared to begin the new school year.  Please help my husband be stress free as he begins a new career on Monday.  I know he will do well, but help him realize that he will do well.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment